SoCal Frequently Asked Questions
What is included in the registration price?
- Three nights’ lodging (Thursday, Friday, and Saturday) in a multiple-occupancy dorm-style room (mostly bunkbeds, some queen beds, linens and towels included) See more on our Lodging page
- Eight meals (Thursday dinner through Sunday breakfast)
- Retreat folder
- Unlimited access to swimming, archery, BB guns, high ropes course, zip line, horseshoes, ping-pong, disc golf
- One round per day of rifle or shotgun
- S’mores on Fireside Night
The following options are available for an extra fee:
- Lunch with conference center staff on Thursday
- Lunch with conference center staff on Sunday
Can I schedule a meeting with a literary agent, acquisitions editor, freelance editor, or best-selling author at the retreat?
Once you register, you will have access to the private Facebook group for attendees, where you can post about what you’d like to do and who you’d like to meet at the retreat. Fellow attendees (which may include industry professionals) may respond, and then you can connect to schedule a time to get together in one of the outdoor areas of the conference center.
Meeting spots will be on a first-come, first-served basis, as other guest groups will also be meeting at the conference center during that weekend.
Whether or not you schedule meetings prior to the retreat, you will have ample opportunities to meet people from all areas of the writing community at meals, during breaks, and strolling around the conference center grounds. Rest assured that God has already planned for the “divine connections” He wants you to make here!
Can I choose my roommate?
Sure! If you wish to have a friend be in the same rooms as you, put your friend’s name in the “preferred roommate” section of your registration form. Make sure your friend puts your name on his or her form too. (Same gender only.)
If two people are comfortable sharing a queen bed, they can name each other as preferred roommates and specify this option on the registration form.
If you don’t identify a roommate preference, we will prayerfully assign roommates for you.
Can I get a private room?
Unfortunately, Palomar does not offer any private accommodations. If you need a private room, you might want to consider staying at a hotel or B&B and choose our daily rate option when you register. You can use the Facebook group for attendees to find someone with a car who could help you get from your off-site lodging to the conference center.
Can a married couple share a room?
Sorry, but we do not have any coed accommodations at the SoCal Christian Writers Retreat (other than for families of four to six). Married couples may attend, but men need to room with other males and women with other females. Or consider staying at a hotel or B&B and register at our Daily Rates. (If you’re interested in a Christian Writers Retreat with coed lodging, we encourage you to check out the one at Mount Hermon in November.)
Can I bring my children with me?
If your children are under 18, they will need to stay with you throughout the retreat (boys with dads, girls with moms).
Children under 16 are not allowed in the general meeting rooms.
Which airport should I fly into?
The nearest major airport is San Diego International (SAN). See the Transportation page for options to get from the airport to the conference center.
What if I have to cancel?Due to the nature of securing a retreat venue, we are unable to provide refunds. If you register for the SoCal retreat and then realize that you are unable to attend, here are some options for you to consider:
- You could apply your registration for this year to next year. (If the price goes up, you won’t have to pay the additional cost.)
- You could apply the amount you paid for the SoCal retreat to the next Christian Writers Retreat at Mount Hermon.
- You could transfer your registration to someone you know who wants to attend but can’t afford it.
- You could donate your registration to our scholarship fund, which would allow someone else to attend who wouldn’t have been able to otherwise.
- If we end up reaching our maximum number of guests before the registration deadline, we would be able to refund your registration at that time.
I have a question that’s not answered here.
Use the Contact page of this website to ask whatever questions you may have. Contact Us